News

News

Sunday Mirror journalist denies trying to obtain celebrities' confidential medical information

06/02/2012

A journalist has denied trying to obtain the confidential medical information of celebrities from an undercover filmmaker at the Leveson Inquiry today.Nick Owens, a reporter for the Sunday Mirror, was one of several journalists approached with fake stories and secretly recorded by Chris Atkins for the documentary Starsuckers.He denied asking Atkins to provide proof of surgical procedures from medical records for publication.David Barr, junior inquiry counsel, questioned the journalist over a full transcript of the meeting with Atkins, who gave evidence to the inquiry last year, during which he was offered fabricated stories about famous individuals having cosmetic surgery.During the secretly recorded meeting, Owens said to Atkins: “The thing to say to your friend is 'what can you get', because the more the better really...if she can, get a document on everything."Owens said he had been talking generally with the filmmaker, posing as the friend of a nurse, about information he said could be taken from a private clinic.He told the inquiry: “What I was doing was trying to get clear in my mind the information and evidence this guy had...[and] what was going on so I would have a full assessment of the situation.”Atkins presented Owens with false stories on Girls Aloud singer Nicola Roberts, actors Gemma Arterton, Hugh Grant and Rhys Ifans and director Guy Ritchie.He added: “I'm only reacting to a string of stories that have just been thrown at me, really. It's certainly not my final conclusion on anything that was happening and we didn't go and publish anything with the information that he was saying to me... I didn't believe it was dynamite celebrity information. I was simply there to work out what the information was.He told the inquiry Atkins saying he would get his accomplice drunk to obtain more information concerned him.He said: "I went away thinking that we might need to expose what he was doing."He added: “In the cold light of day I looked at the PCC code again and realised it was very unlikely we'd be able to do anything at all he apart from perhaps again looking at... exposing Mr Atkins.”Owens said he met with his editor, Tina Weaver, following the release of Starsuckers in 2009, and admitted she was unhappy with his appearance in the film. He said he remembered calling Atkins twice and leaving voicemails following the meeting.Dan Wootton, former showbiz editor at the News of the World, also gave evidence to the inquiry.He told Leveson all celebrities have a right to privacy, especially in areas of sexuality, health, pregnancy and family.He said he was disappointed by evidence given to the inquiry by the actor Hugh Grant last year.He added: “It was very rare for me to ever write about Hugh Grant because my belief was that my readers of my showbiz column weren't interested in him, because he didn't seem to enjoy his job and was pretty miserable.”He said he was frustrated that Grant had not confirmed the birth of his daughter last year, as no journalist wants to publish inaccurate stories, and said there definitely needs to be a “two-way street” between celebrities and journalists offering a right of reply.Wootton, who now writes for the Daily Mail, said working with celebrities involved mutual trust and writing about individuals in a fair and honest way.He added: “I was always very conscious not to become a stooge to celebrities...it's definitely walking a tightrope."

Download the full report:

Download report

Queries: campaign@hackinginquiry.org

related Posts

When media abuse of academics becomes the norm in HE
Following the death of Jason Arday, Corinne Fowler writes on the toll of media abuse on academics and what universities must do to protect their staff.
8/19/26
News
Reporting montage
Professor Arday, IPSO, and the press: steps to end the cycle of tragedy
Guest blog: Professor Paul Wragg, Professor of Media Law at the University of Leeds, on why the press hounding of Professor Jason Arday will happen again unless politicians act.
8/16/26
News
IPSO ties itself in knots over Telegraph complaint
Media lawyer Jonathan Coad complained to IPSO about a Telegraph article claiming Hacked Off wants "state control" of the press. IPSO's response contradicted itself within the space of a few paragraphs.
8/14/26
News
The letter the Guardian didn't publish: Tulisa Contostavlos interview
Hacked Off CEO Nathan Sparkes wrote to the Guardian to correct claims about press regulation in its interview with Tulisa Contostavlos. The paper didn't publish it — so we are.
8/12/26
News